View Single Post
Old 04-25-2007, 03:44 PM   #5
mrnickleye
1000whp postwhore

mrnickleye is on a distinguished road

I did order the gear, but it was a 3-4 day wait, and MY cost was $69. I didn't buy it. My whole gear was fine except the washer problem.

The gear is actually 3 pieces. The 2 washers, one on each end, are, during manufacturing, placed on the machined gear, and then a humungus press crimps the gear in about 10 places at the inner edge of the washers to lock them onto the gear.

Next time you have yours off, look really close, and you will see the tiny crimp marks.

It must 'normally' work fine forever, BUT...last summer when my belt broke, shredded actually, it knocked the outer side washer off the gear. I placed it back on and 'peened' it all around with a punch. This only lasted 8 months.

At the time, I did not know the t-belt rides against it so much. With out that washer, the belt wants to ride off the gear about 1/8th in.

On the plastic cover, there are several indented lines across the front. Using a hacksaw, I made the cut in the 3rd line down, immediately below the 7MGE lettering place.

I suppose, to prevent sand and dust getting in there, you could use a piece of vacuum hose slit long-wise and placed over the top edge of the bottom (now middle) cover.

The (now top) cover would be directly against the hose, preventing it from coming off, and sealing the crack.

Or/and you could use some black silicone gasket maker to glue the hose on.