View Single Post
Old 04-24-2007, 12:27 PM   #21
IHateHacks
20psi boost

IHateHacks is on a distinguished road

OK Mr. Technical you wanna get technical? Just putting a radiator cap on your car doesn't raise the boiling point. Do you know why? I didn't see it in any of your posts. Its because the cooling system is pressurized, not just because you have a radiator cap. A radiator cap doesn't pressurize the coolant, the water pump does. The radiator cap regulates this pressure. When you pressurize a liquid the boiling point raises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cars4me89
The ethlyene glycol has nothing to do with boiling point
Here we go again with false statements from someone with no experience in this topic.

Yes, ethlyene glycol has ALOT to do with the boiling point. It raises the boiling point of water significantly as much as 276 degrees F at about a 60/40 concentration. But too much ethlyene glycol WILL lower the boiling point. I was a little inaccurate in one of my statements. The % when too much ethlyene glycol will start to lower the boiling point is 80% and above, and running 100% ethlyene glycol WILL cause you engine to overheat. I have the graph to prove it but I'll leave that to Mr. Nickleye.

But here is an excerpt "Customers are strongly advised to consult with their engine manufacturer before exceeding the 67% ethlyene glycol concentration. Heat exchange properties are significantly different at higher concentrations. Ethlyene glycol concentrations above 67% are counterproductive and are not recommended."

Last edited by IHateHacks; 04-24-2007 at 12:33 PM.
IHateHacks is offline   Reply With Quote