View Single Post
Old 04-23-2007, 07:31 AM   #1
dannydavi
12psi boost

dannydavi is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Sputtering after plug replacement...

Hey guys another noob who loves working on cars messed something up again lol

I just got done replacing the cylinder head cover bolt gaskets and spark plugs. (lots of oil on plugs) well 5 of the 6 plugs cause one of the new plugs broke on me so i reused one of the old ones until i got back to the auto store to get another. What seems to be happening is misfiring. lots of sputterage going on. Everything before i replaced the plugs sunday ran fine, just wanted to get rid of all the oil buildup and what not. since it was only yesterday i havent had time to go mess with anything, and figured i should get some comments before i did anyways.

So i drove a lil over 100 miles with it this way. Seemed to be running fine at full speed, but during light acceleration i got sputtering. Heavy acceleration wasnt noticeabal either. I dont know if it is the mixture of the old and new plugs or perhaps i may have damaged the wires while taking them off. (for some reason they were really stuck, so i grabed some channel locks to take them out. Dont know if that's bad or not) I have a multimeter, so i believe there is a way to test the current going through or what not, i'll have to read up on that.

I didnt touch distributor or cams or anything so timing shouldnt be off any more than it may have been before the plug replacement. Am def willing to check and correct if suggestions point me there no doubt.. but i'm kinda leaning towards the plugs or wires.

So anyways guys I'll be able to do all the work to fix this(unless it's something really easy) this coming wednesday or thursday any friendly input is appreciated. Thanks in advance

more: at idle while in drive it shakes and sputters kinda bad, but while in neutral it seems to kinda mellow out with little rpm flex...
ToyotaPart.com
MKIIITSRM

Last edited by dannydavi; 04-24-2007 at 09:37 PM.
dannydavi is offline   Reply With Quote