View Single Post
Old 04-18-2007, 03:53 AM   #12
cars4me89
3" Exhaust

cars4me89 is on a distinguished road
Default AMS Oil

I have done 3 oil changes on my car now with AMS Oil 10W-30 formulated for 25,000 mile intervals. I am convinced that this is the best oil in the world. I've become more educated about the characteristics of oils and filters. I would like to share my knowledge if you're willing to read this.. if anyone has corrections please post them.

Oils are judged by their "pourocity" (how freely they will pour), the first number (10W) judges the flow of the oil at 0 degrees Celcius (or farenheit?) and as the oil becomes heated the viscocity thickens to the second number (30). Higher viscocity ratings are recommended for higher tempuratue ranges. Although, nowadays, it's recommended by manufacturers to use their muti-viscocity oils that can be used year-round regardless of the tempurature.

Oils should also be judged by their additive package, which for normal gasoline powered spark ignition engines, begins with an S. Diesel, or Compression ignition engine oil additive packages begin with C. Additive packages are rated by letters, as the letter increases with the alphabet (A,B,C,D etc...). The current and most up-to-date additive package is SM. When shopping for oils, regardless of the year of manufacture for the engine, you should always make sure you get the most recent additive package. Since, I am an AMS Oil user, of course AMS Oils have the SM oil additive package. The SN package should be released in oils within the next few years.

Oil filters are designed to filter out particles harmful to critical engine parts. Most oil filters filter particles as small as 7-8 microns, which is incredibly small and very impressive as it is. But AMS Oil filters, are tested to filter particles as small as 1 micron. Which is a big reason why they are so expensive, running approximetly $12-$17. But they are well worth it. My Supra only has 71,000 original miles and am using AMS Oil and the oil pan is bone dry. There are no oil leaks. I would definetly recommend purchasing AMS Oil, the easiest way is to order over the phone which the number is 715-395-0437 or you could find an AMS Oil dealer who can usually get it for you cheaper.
Currently enrolled in UTI (Universal Technical Institute.. ya ya say what you want bout the school lol its got some nice benefits though), have about two years of auto experience so far.. only 18 years old. My supra's older than me :P

-Phil
cars4me89 is offline   Reply With Quote