Thread: code 14 and 52
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2007, 01:45 PM   #9
IHateHacks
20psi boost

IHateHacks is on a distinguished road

First of all there are 3 coil packs on the 7MGTE. Did you just replace one or did you replace the igniter? The igniter is not bolted to the engine, it is bolted to the drivers side inner fender, its the aluminum thing with a couple fo harnesses coming out of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by west_side_supra
i have noticed that the cam gears arent at the same possition. one of them is 1 tooth off. should i fix this and how?
If the crank pulley notch was lined up with the 0 degree mark on the lower timing belt cover and one of the cam gears matchmarks didn't line up with the notch on the inner timing belt cover, then yes you should fix that asap as it is definatly not running right. You are going to have to take the timing belt off and reinstall it the correct way. Hardest part about that job is getting the crank pulley off. The rest is easy, took me 5 minutes to install my timing belt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by west_side_supra
i dont understand the how to check the timeing...im use to working on my old 79 camaro
Well you first need a timing light. Hook up the positive cable to the positive on the battery and hook the negative to the engine block where the negative battery cable attaches. Connect the signal clamp to the No. 1 spark plug wire. Then you need to disable the electronic advance by bridgeing terminals T and E1 at the diagnostic connector. Then start the motor. Aim the timing light at the crank pulley and to where the timing marks are on the lower timing belt cover. The notch on the crank pulley should be lined up with the 10 degrees BTDC mark every time the light flashes. If its not, then loosen (don't take it out) the 12mm bolt that holds the cam position sensor on and spin it in whatever direction will make the notch line up with the 10 degree mark. Push down on the cam sensor to advance the timing and pull it up to retard it. But install that timing belt properly FIRST before you set ignition timing because you will be wasting your time with the incorrect valve timing set.

As far as a tune up, the fuel filter is the #1 most overlooked item when performing a tune-up. And a little tip, don't bring your car to a dealer unless you want to get ripped off, period.

7MGTE's use a DIS ignition system, they don't have a distributor only the non-turbo GE's have that crap ass old technology.

Last edited by IHateHacks; 04-09-2007 at 01:47 PM.
IHateHacks is offline   Reply With Quote