View Single Post
Old 04-09-2007, 05:23 AM   #11
Charles Q
Stock

Charles Q is on a distinguished road

If you go to celicasupra.com and do some searching you'll find that a swap is not as easy as some might lead you to believe. There is a lot to do and none of it is cheap. Before you're done you could have paid for a couple of new cars. This is not a hobby for the poor or the stupid. Both are going to get burned. It's also not a job for the impatient. Know EXACTLY what to do and in what order to do it in before you spend a dime or you'll live to regret it. Doing a swap on the cheap means you have, often as not, one problem after another after the swap is done. Remember you're swapping one used car into another. If you're doing it yourself and you know what you're doing (and I mean REALLY know what you're doing not just learning as you go along) it shouldn't be too much of a problem but there are a lot of these that are started and never finished. There's a lot to do and most people just don't have the time to devote to doing it start to finish so they get started and then it just sits. They wind up losing a ton of money when they sell it half done or try to part it out to recover their money. If you're having someone do it for you you better be double sure that they have the knowledge to handle what you're asking them to do and be very clear up front and in writing as to what you want and what it's going to cost. Then double that cost. If they won't work the way you want FIND SOMEONE ELSE. If you don't the car may never get finished. There are always going to be extras and problems and delays. If you rebuild the engine to start with and buy all the related parts you need before you start you'll have a car that is unbelievable even in stock trim and it won't break down on you every other week. But you should remember that a turbo engine requires a number of other mods to the driveline, suspension and brakes. Those things should be done BEFORE you swap. Realistically - figure $10,000 plus. Can it be done for less - sure but that's about what I spent and haven't had a lick of trouble. I LOVE this car. But take it from me I knew what I wanted when I started and I was lucky enough to have someone who really knew what they were doing to do the swap for me. I'm still adding mods to this thing but after a year of driving it I am so glad I did it. It is a kick in the pants to drive but there are a lot of cars that might give you that pleasure for a lot less trouble. Just be sure what you want before you start. Hope that helps.

Last edited by Charles Q; 04-09-2007 at 05:27 AM.
Charles Q is offline   Reply With Quote