View Single Post
Old 02-02-2007, 06:50 PM   #5
flight doc89
3" Exhaust

flight doc89 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmmr15
So, I bought my 87 Supra Turbo for cheap ($1000) because the turbo wasnt spooling. I figured it'd be an easy fix. I pulled the turbo, checked for cracks, leaks, etc...and nothing. The turbo spins freely and no shaft play. Before I pulled the turbo, when I drove the car, there was a hissing coming from the turbo area like a leak somewhere. I figured it to be an exhaust leak. So when I put the turbo back on, I kept the downpipe unhooked and started up the car. The hissing was gone, but still no boost. I havent thouroghly inspected the IC piping yet, but that might be the problem. My question is, would an exhaust leak keep the turbo from spooling and give the car no power, or would that be a leak somewhere else? Also, if I had a vacuum leak, would the car die right away, or would it still run, but miss-fire terribly? I would really like to get in touch with a knowledgeable someone in the Seattle-Everett area and just have them come check my car out. As always, money is tight, and a helping hand would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
my exhaust leak sounded like a choo-choo train, not a hiss.
is it not spooling, or just not boosting? when you get on it, do you hear the turbo spool but still no boost kick? if it's spooling but not boosting, check the BOV.
flight doc89 is offline   Reply With Quote