View Single Post
Old 01-31-2007, 07:08 AM   #5
sd88supra
3" Exhaust

sd88supra is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnickleye
Well, if the EGR is stuck open a tiny bit, your idle can increase; cause cylinder misfires (lowered MPG); and can give you some running troubles.

The EGR passages on the 7m usually will plug up with miles, and then you don't get any EGR gasses thru. This problem is usually not detected (nor cause troubles)until you have to go in for an emissions test. It causes high NOx readings.

The main running trouble this plugged or inop EGR condition can cause is pinging under hard acceleration. This is due to extremely high combustion temps, which lowering it is why the EGR is there.
I used to get good gas mileage even with the error code 71. It wasn't until recently that my cold idle went up (could outside temperature have anything to do with it?) The hesitation I've always had (around 2000 rpm), but it has gotten worse. Could it be that the EGR has worsened? In fact, the harder I accelerate the smoother it runs. No pinging. I'm gonna check my timing belt. I fact, I think I'm gonna go for a rebuild soon. I'm starting to show signs of a well worn engine.
sd88supra is offline   Reply With Quote