View Single Post
Old 01-30-2007, 04:59 PM   #2
mattfurlani
3" Exhaust

mattfurlani is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliturbo88
Well on the 86 i got, number 5 cylinder just died off one night driving home. Its a NA motor. We had all the injectors professionaly flowed and new spark plugs and wires(its getting spark and fuel). What would cause the cylinder to loose compression? i can tell its not getting nearly enough compression on number 5 because when you crank the starter, it raises and lowers rpm as it tries to turn over. Could it possibly be something besides worn rings or not sealing valves?

The raising and lowering RPM isn't a sign that the cylinder is dead. you need to do more testing before you can make that hypothesis

86.5 NA has 156 cranking PSI that's not what it runs at. Looking up the running PSI and the percent tolerance between one cylinder and the others will determine whether or not its bad. Losing compression can only be caused by a busted, burnt, or craked valve, worn rings, a hole in the cylinder itself. or the lack of the breathability of the cylinder. since you have fuel spark and air i'd do a cylidner leakage test.