View Single Post
Old 01-26-2007, 03:55 PM   #16
IHateHacks
20psi boost

IHateHacks is on a distinguished road

No possible way swaping a 1JZ is cheaper than repairing a head gasket on a 7M. Im $800 deep on my repair and that includes what you call "adding additional rebuild costs" such as valve work, planed the head surface, cleaning, checking head for warpage and cracks, lapping the block (which I did my self for free). Show me where I can buy a good running 1JZ with the ECU and harness for under $800 shipped and I'm sold. We only love our 7M's because they are cheaper to fix/buy than any other motor.
"doesn't require HG replacement every 5000km"

Yea neither does a 7M if you know what you are doing. You just slap a metal head gasket on any 7M old block with out lapping then you will be redoing it. The mating surfaces have to be equal to or better than when the block rolled out of the factory. You also can't use or reuse stock head bolts or the stock torque specs. You also must tighten the head bolts in a specific order and in 3 passes working your way up to the final torque spec. You fail to do any of this and you will be replacing that head gasket again.

"the 1J is more fuel efficient"

Who cares about fuel efficiency? News flash: turbocharged cars require massive amounts of fuel to maintain a healthy air fuel ratio of 11.3 to 1, prevent knock, pre-ignition or detonation which will blow a hole in your block or destroy a piston. I care more about the internals of my engine than a few cents in my pocket. Buy a prius if you want fuel efficient bragging rights.
IHateHacks is offline   Reply With Quote