Thread: Heat??
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2007, 03:20 PM   #5
IHateHacks
20psi boost

IHateHacks is on a distinguished road

"i have a new thermostat in my car. is there a possibility that this one could have failed already? its less than 3 1/2 months old."

I'm speaking from personal experience here, as well as the experience from a 50 year old Ex-Toyota tech.

Is that thermostat a Toyota dealer one? These cars do NOT like aftermarket thermostats. I've had 2 go bad on me. One from Advance auto part and one from Napa. All within 6 months. I don't know why but I can tell you this, get a factory stat and compare it with a cheapo aftermarket one and you'll be able to see and feel the difference.

If its a dealer thermostat thats less than 3 months old, then you can rule that out.

How about checking the coolant level? Check the level in the radiator when its ice cold. Sounds like there is air getting in the system. These cars also like to stop using the overflow bottle when the head gasket is leaking. Could also be the blend door that mrnickleye mentioned, but thats not a common problem on any vehicle. But it does happen.
IHateHacks is offline   Reply With Quote