View Single Post
Old 01-16-2007, 08:02 AM   #1
sd88supra
3" Exhaust

sd88supra is on a distinguished road
Default Daily drivers: MKIII N/A Supra Vs. Nissan 240SX

I was wondering if anyone here has had experience with the Nissan 240SX for commuting. I was thinking about selling my N/A and getting a turbo, and getting a more economic car for daily driving. So I guess selecting the daily driver is the issue....

I could keep my N/A for daily driving, but I get about 19 mpg, which isnt too bad since my commute isnt long, but when I do drive a lot (say 60 miles a day) then it comes back to bite me in the ass. But, it is nice to speed on long drives, and I've fallen in love with RWD. I don't think I could ever go back to FWD. I was looking at Integras, Civics, Golfs, Sentras and Celicas for a daily driver. While 35-40 mpg sounds nice for commuting, FWD turns me off. And I'm not really a big fan of 2 seaters (so no MR2's etc), so thats what lead me to looking at the 240SX.

I saw that statistically, the 240 gets 5-6 more mpg than the Supra. Thats 20% cheaper, which in the long run makes a difference. A 1000 mile trip would cost about $150 for the Supra and $120 for the 240, which is about a $400 difference after a year. The 240 has about 60 hp less but is also about 800lbs lighter. I'm not expecting it to be up there with the Supra performance-wise, but if it is indeed a very reliable car and easier to work on, I may look into getting one as a daily driver and starting a Supra turbo project.

Then again, it would be hard letting go of my N/A. So much time and money put into it. I might just have to eat more ramen noodles
sd88supra is offline   Reply With Quote