Thread: Good car?
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2006, 01:05 PM   #7
rnoswal
Lexus & 550's

rnoswal is on a distinguished road

Well, they are complex and if you don't have any mechanic experience or tools then I would not try to learn on a Supra. It is a nice car and like I said, I have owned 3 of them and working on them is as much of a bitch as working on any car, but it definately has it own unique and hard to get to items.

Just adjusting the valves is a long term project. You have to do it on the MK111's because they are solid, not hydraulic cams. Getting the valve covers off and deciding how to get to the shims and measuring them and then having the right replacements is just one routine that can go wrong easily without any good help.

Spark plugs in an aluminum head can turn into disaster with either a chance of cross threading or pullling out the threads with a stuck plug.

I don't mean to scare you away from getting a Supra. They are strong and fairly reliable cars, but unless you get one that has been well maintained, prepare yourself for a quick learning curve in routine maintanence. Buy one, but get a smaller, cheaper car, like an older Celica or Corrolla and learn to work on them first. They are great cars and there are still a lot of them around running and in the junkyards for parts.

It takes a while to build up the knowledge to work on cars. You need a place to work on it, tools and a good manual, along with all the help you will get from here, you will be on your way in no time.

Good luck

Russ
rnoswal is offline   Reply With Quote