View Single Post
Old 10-13-2006, 02:35 AM   #8
Isphius
500whp yet?

Isphius is on a distinguished road

Automatic transmissions work by shifting after your car falls out of its powerband, And it can tell more acuratley than you can, Unless you have a messed up transmission or a motor swap, etc (like say, putting a motor with a 9k rpm redline with the a340, its still going to shift at like 6000 rpms because it has a governer as a safety) And the vws, acuras, new clipse, new maxima, etc and other cars have that tiptronic, auto-manual crap, It is just a fancy name for an automatic with a + and - for the gears. Its totally pointless. I went to test drive an elcipse gt and the salesman was trying to show it to me, and i just left it in D. oh well. The mr2 spyder like mine came with a 6 speed sequential transmission, Which a lot of people thought was an auto-manual thing, But its a real sequential 6 speed, It just has an automatic clutch and assisted shifting. But, The shifts are always the same whether driving slow or trying to drag race someone, Which makes it kind of kill the cars performance. You can tell by the massive difference in 0-60 between the 5 speed and 6/sequential. The good part about sequential transmissions is the massively fast shift time...like on a motorcylce. Seems kind of pointles to me...