View Single Post
Old 09-26-2006, 07:15 PM   #18
Spudboy
3" Exhaust

Spudboy is on a distinguished road

I am one of those +45 guys... but I DO own wrenches and have some money. Being older and wiser with 'the need for speed' I realize there is a HUGE difference between being able to afford a trophy car that sits in the garage except on sunday around town 'show-off' drives, and an affordable car that you actually take to the track and scare yourself with. I prefer being scared, therefore can only afford my (I'm the original owner) 1988 Turbo Supra.

I agree with what somebody said in this forum about 'why have a car you don't drive properly'.

Many of us old timers waste money on cars they can barley afford, let alone afford to take it to the track for fear of scraching it, wrecking it while insurance wont cover track accidents, or breaking something you can't fix yourself because you dont have wrenches or time because you work to many hours to afford the payment.

On my first track day I realized there are plenty of people of all ages that DO 'get it'. Some of them started out in more expensive cars and realized you can have much more fun with an affordable car like a Miata or something. The fun is in making you the driver, max out whatever car you have. I found very few big ego's on the track...just humble car enthusiasts going as fast as they can in what they have. Even the ones with bigger budgets and better cars are just like all the rest on track. Having a blast.

If I had an extra 200k I might buy a 2007 Supra for the track. I don't so I will continue to race my 1988 until I hit the lottery.

"If you have NO FEAR...you're not going fast enough."

(I am No. 124, gray 1988 Supra)

Spudboy is offline   Reply With Quote