View Single Post
Old 08-27-2006, 11:42 PM   #3
Isphius
500whp yet?

Isphius is on a distinguished road

Yes, They are very reliable cars. Very reliable, Even if they are 20 years old or not. The problem wasnt with the headgasket itself, But that the bolts werent torqued down enough to make up for the different expansion and contraction of the aluminum(head) mated to the iron(block). If you buy one, And the hg is still good (search for BHG symptoms), All you have to do is take the valve covers off and retorque the head bolts to about 90 ft lbs or so. But this isnt recomended, Because the bolts can break. If you want to replace it, The whole gasket kit is 135$. I would say go for it. And then get some arp head studs, Because they are much stronger and make Getting the head on really easy without moving the gasket surface around too much. Aside from headgaskets, These cars have no major mechanical problems that are commmon to most cars. Little things break thou, and are easy to fix, Like the power steering rack leaks fluid, Thermlostats go bad(any car thou), The horn and speedo will stop working, And the interior dome lights start lose their ground and go out. There is also a few people on here with battery ground problems, But i dont think they are very common. If you buy the car, Just do all the maintainance parts at once, like fluids, oils, brakes, shocks, vaccum hoses, new battery, New battery cables, retorque/redo headgasket(kind of optional, If its not blown), And it will be good for many many miles. My na was pretty beat up and abused by me and previous owners, But i took care of it maintainance wise and nothing went wrong on the car in 10 months and 11k+ (~175k - ~186k)miles.