View Single Post
Old 08-09-2006, 08:37 AM   #16
theWeezL
12psi boost

theWeezL is on a distinguished road

my first experience with a broken bolt was on small block chevy in my 73 Jimmy. I was screwin around with my girlfriend and acting like the truck wouldnt start so I was hitting the starter then turning the key of real fast. I snapped a grade 8 bolt off the starter leaving threads in the block. Well, of course I was a complete noob at it and so I tried drilling it out, and the drill kept slipping off and pretty soon I had the block so chewed up there was no way the thing was coming out.

fortunately, I got a great head for engineering, (just no mechanical ability or expereince back then) and I devised a steel plate that would bolt to the starter in the stock location and allow me to put a bolt to the block in another location (the starter had two bolt holes, the block had 3 for some different application)

Since then Ive never really had much more luck with drilling out bolt bits...if they dont come right out I usually find they arent gonna. Anyway, worst case scenario is you gonna need a new upper manifold.

Eagles may soar, but weezl's never get sucked into jet engines!

theWeezL is offline   Reply With Quote