Thread: Targa brace
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2006, 12:27 AM   #31
Isphius
500whp yet?

Isphius is on a distinguished road

What if you took the 2 end plates that you have, And just ran parallel tubes from front to back along the windows, With little gussets to prevent it from bending? It would just be like if you cut a sunroof shape out of the targa top to simplify it. i was doing some mechanical engieering research, And the force applied to the roof section isnt what i thought. Its the obvious front to back (windshield and rear section trying to touch each other), But it would have to apply the same force for the car to twist, unlike the side to side bending i thought. The front and rear sections of the car generally pretty stiff already, So they will not bend on their own. They Just allow the car to bend at its midpoint. So All you would need is the brace to be stiff front to back, Not torsionally or horizontally. For example...hold a block in your hand (like a lego, box of food, Anything and try to move your hands front to back. It makes the box want to spin, And apply force front out towards your hands. That means you could make that thing way smaller and it would do the same job lol. Sorry if this is boring...