View Single Post
Old 07-12-2006, 11:10 PM   #18
theWeezL
12psi boost

theWeezL is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnoswal

Most of us know when and when not to race. It has been going on ever since the second car was built. There are stupid people out there, but there have always been stupid people. I have been driving for over 30 years and have done the occasional street race. I think the most danger I have is avoiding the idiots using their cell phones and driving.....now that combination will kill people!

Russ
Its like you hinted at though, its not you you need to worry about its the other idiots around you. When I was young like some of you guys I did alot of racing, both on the streets and on the tracks. the only reason why I was never involved in an accident is....I was LUCKY! dont get me wrong, I know my talents behind the wheel and Ive been driving for 25+ years as well. But it all comes down to luck...What Im saying is, no matter how good of a driver I am...unexpected things occure that are beyond your control. And those things can get people killed.

When I was in my 20's and 30's I was into motorcycles. I was there building "cafe" bikes before there was such a thing a factory "crotch rocket". One night I was on my way out to a desert party just before midnight. this was in a Town of under 20k people so you can imagine the lack of traffic. As I approached a traffic signal I attempted to "warn" an oncomming car (their turn signal was on to make a left turn, crossing my lane of travel) that I was there. I flipped my brights at her twice, slowed down to 5 miles below the posted limit (35) and moved to the right side of my lane. Just as I started to roll back on the throttle thinking I was sure I was past her.........BOOM! That car turned in front of me and I barely had time to think "OH SHIT!" much less react. (later the cops asked me why he didnt find any skid marks from me, and I told him I was too busy leaving skid marks in my shorts to hit the brakes...lol). I spent 14 days in the hospital and 9 screws, one stainless steel plate, and a bone graft later...I was able to keep my leg.

My point is that I did everything right...and it still almost killed me. What do you think the outcome of that story would have been if I was slamming through the gears on my way out of town on a nearly deserted road....Well, I would bet you wouldnt be reading this story right now.

One last thought, Im not trying to say you cant have any fun. Im not even one to preach about speed or pushing the limits of your car. Im just saying, that speed has consequences...how do you think your life is gonna end up if you're the one behind the wheel when the guy you're racing screws up bad and kills someone? I can tell you what the cops are gonna say..."Guilty of manslaughter"....yep thats right...YOU can be held responsible for the other guys mistake...remember that next time you "rev" it at a stoplight.

Eagles may soar, but weezl's never get sucked into jet engines!

theWeezL is offline   Reply With Quote