View Single Post
Old 06-30-2006, 04:14 PM   #1
SupraSaver87
3" Exhaust

SupraSaver87 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Help with wierd noise

Well it is kinda a noise, I was thinking it was spark plugs, so I replaced them, they are ones that DO NOT need to be gapped. Also I checked the spark plug wires (All 6), and that seemed to help once I started the car again, however I drove it for about 1 block before the problem started again. I don't really know what else to do....so I am asking for help.

Here is the problem:

I start the car in the morning, or basically if I let it sit for 2 hours or more, it will not give me this problem for about 1 block. The engine sounds like it is miss fireing, it litereally makes my car shake. Under anything more than what I would guess to be 25% throttle, this problem is bad, if I keep even throttle, at mostly any RPM, then it runs smoothly. I charged my battery two days ago, all night, and this morning, it was dead. This happens alot to me.

I have a 1100CCA battery that I am going to see if it holds a charge, and if it does, then I am going to use that one. But that probably won't mean anything as far as fixing the problem...but hey, the more info I give, the better help I can get.

I will try to explain best I can here.

The engine sounds like its sputtering, loss of power is DEFINATLY present during the sputtering. I will be rebuilding my altinator this weekend, but don't let that stop you from telling me about altinator problems. Lets see....It happens ALOT more the longer I am driving, also during idle, at night, I can noticably see my lights dimming slightly when idleing (My car idles at around 500RPM), also the interrior...well all my lights dim.

There is no white smoke, and the oil is not milky, I did an oil change last week.

SIDE NOTE: Alright guys, prepare to be amused, or horrified. My car, owned by two different people, has never had MAJOR work done to it. I am noticing that some parts on the car are just little el-cheepo parts as well. However, the two owners used the car like just a normal car, every day driver....but never did any up-keep things on the car. I could literally FEEL the grit in my oil, like it was bad, I honestly don't think that oil has been changed since at LEAST 7 years ago. Also that means ALL the fluids are probably 7+ years old. Don't worry though, I am on the fast track in replacing all fluids with premium fluids. I have a question though, where do I find the dip-stick for the tranny fluid, and how to I refill it? Ok well hopefully you arn't horrified on this...back to my problem.\

Ok, so we have sputtering, low amperage at 500-700 RPM, and frequent battery failure, no white smoke, under any type of throttle load, or %. (This is talking about load while driving the car, or under "clutch in" revs). Powerloss, and a side note that you should also know about is that I am pretty sure I have a boost leak. Oh yeah, assume all bolted on parts to be original.

I don't leak any fluids, well other than gas, front a rust hole in the gas tank downpipe, or maybe at the welds where the downpipe meets the tank.

Yeah, if you have any questions ontop of the info I provided, then PLEASE ask. I can provide pictures of things if need be, but I am not going to remove parts to get pictures.

Our Supra’s, which art in the driveway,
Hollowed be thy power, thy mods are great, thy speed endless,
On the road or at the track. Give us this day free of cops,
And forgive us our impound charges, as we forgive those who are slow.
And lead us not into speed traps, and deliver us from the interceptors,
For thine is our car, the power, and the glory…forever and ever….amen.
SupraSaver87 is offline   Reply With Quote