View Single Post
Old 06-19-2006, 05:20 PM   #36
theWeezL
12psi boost

theWeezL is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isphius
shocks just resist the movement of the suspension, and give the spring a place to act, in the mk3 anyway. A strut is actually a structural piece of the suspension. It takes the place of the upper a arm and shock/spring. Which is why strut bars and camber plates are useless on supras. Camber plates are for whne you lower a front wheel drive car, it moves the struts out, so the camber isnt so far in. And stut tower braces stop the struts from moving closer and away from each other, which also doesnt happen on a supra, because it has shocks. Mk3 btw, not too sure if mk4 is struts or shocks
I was going to differ with you, but then I went and looked again and sure enough we do have upper control arms! I had just kinda assumed that since the shock/spring combo on the mk3 LOOKED like a strut it WAS a strut, but now I see your point.

however I will beg to differ on the strut bar not helping. It all depends on the type of strut bar you use. If you have a simple crossover bar, its doing very little if anything. But if you have a triangulated bar tying in the firewall you have created a triangle at 90 degrees from your frame/fender/firewall triangle. This will infact reduce chassis flex and most definately improve a "loose frame". These triangle bars are especially useful on Targa's, where chassis flex is a real problem.

Eagles may soar, but weezl's never get sucked into jet engines!

theWeezL is offline   Reply With Quote