View Single Post
Old 06-16-2006, 06:33 AM   #2
f00g00
12psi boost

f00g00 is on a distinguished road

Your not totaly screwed but it will take some time.
Assuming you don't have the proper tools to do the job with the cams on you will have to temp install the cams after you put the shims back in. You can either do it one at a time or put them all in and see which ones are close and then leave those alone and work with the ones that are too close or the gaps are too much.
Check the adjustment one at a time till you get them all within specs, only problem is that if you didn't check the clearences before you took it apart then you won't even have a baseline to go with.
A good idea is to go junkyard hunting if your a cheapskate like me and grab all the shims from a supra there so you have more to play.
The proper way is to check the clearence with a feeler guage, remove the shim by using a special tool to compress the bucket and then take out the shim , measure the thickness of the shim with a micrometer and do a mathematical formula to determine the size of the shim that needs to go back in.
I bought the tools several years ago to check mine, followed the instructions in thr TSRM and when I put the new shims in they ended up being to close. Guess I suck at math.
f00g00 is offline   Reply With Quote