View Single Post
Old 06-06-2006, 12:38 AM   #6
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvetten
I did check all the plugs recently (about a week ago) when I replaced them and they were clean, no piston. I suppose that is in part to my decrease in boost. As I said I was only running 14psi or so and I have a ProFec E-01 boost controller, which I was under the impression that these electronic controllers controlled boost creep. (Is that true in your opinion?)...
Unfortunately, no...boost controllers only control the wastegate, which only indirectly affects boost.

Quote:
...I have a HKS EVC IV on my 69 Camaro and it works mint...
I suspect you're running a lot less boost on your Camaro. A larger V8 also has a lot more exhaust volume at low rpms, which tends to drive the turbo with a bit more stability.

Quote:
...I actually have a set of 720cc injectors and a HKS fuel rail, I just wasn't going to put them on until I installed an AEM ECU...
Fwiw, I'd advise against that plan. In general, you need to be able to flow enough fuel to match the max airflow of the turbo.

Quote:
...When I installed the T72, I re-dynoed the car to make sure there were no changes. As it happened, it was quite a bit leaner with the increased volume, so based on my A/F ratio, I ended up at 14 psi or so and it seems safe. Is it possible that the A/F is safe (around 11.0-11.5?) yet still run lean and/or detonate?...
At 14psi on 93 octane gas you won't detonate. Again, the trouble is, with a turbo that big it's nearly impossible to consistently regulate it down to 14psi using wastegate control alone.

Quote:
...I thought (from reading many of these posts) that a stock Supra fuel system can support UP TO 500hp or so...
Correct. In fact, it'll support 500rwhp or so (depending on whether we're going through a 6spd or an auto).

Quote:
...My car was only around 460ish rwhp with the T61, and as I recall, right around 430-440 now with less boost, even though more turbo. What do you think?...
The key is regulating that boost, and guaranteeing the low boost level with 100% certainty. For example, I'd put big $ on the table that (eg. with a 6spd) if you're cruising in 5th gear at about 65mph, downshift to 3rd and hammer it you can get your T72 to spike up over 20psi, even if your boost controller is set to 15psi. I wouldn't advise it however because at 20psi with that turbo your oem fuel system will run lean. If you also did it on pump gas (i.e. not race fuel), you'd detonate and probably pop the engine within a few seconds.

Quote:
...It sounds like I need to do a comp test anyway just to insure there is no damage...
Agreed 100%.

Quote:
...I have a little piece of mind after seeing my plugs, but your right, proof is on the pressure gauge...
Yep...it never hurts to know for sure.

Quote:
...I know this info is here somewhere but what should I see for cylinder pressure, and the minimum delta from cyl to cyl?...
Here are the factory instructions:
http://www.mkiv.com/manual/manualtt/...eck/index.html

Quote:
...I am leaning also towards some kind of stupid oil leak. I think dyno is the best and easiest and safest way to find this out...
What part of the car/engine/tranny is leaking?

P.S. Sorry for the delayed response. My computer was down due to a change in residence (i.e. moving).

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote