View Single Post
Old 05-31-2006, 01:02 PM   #4
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvetten
I am very experienced in turbos. Aside from owning a ton of other turbo vehicles, I also have a twin turbo 69 Camaro that I built from the ground up, and I dragrace a GSX-R1000 that is turbo charged...I only tell you this so you don't think you're wasting your time or dealing with an idiot or worse someone who THINKS they know what they're talking about, or bought a car that is way above their knowledge and experience...
Ok. Thanks for providing a background.

Quote:
I have a stock fuel system except for the 255lph pump...
With all due consideration for your background, I have to point out that you've put together a potentially self-destructive set of components. It has not been proven that a 255lph pump improves overall flow through the restrictions in the oem fuel system. In particular, the openings inside of the 'banjo' fittings on the top of the fuel tank, at the FPD, and at the fuel rail are all extremely small.

Quote:
...As I said in my post, right now I am running 14psi with the t72. I was running 18 with the t61. both on pump gas with no issues. (plugs (iridiums) look great)...
First, please note that the Mkiv Supra Turbo, with the oem ecu, will detonate with 18psi on 93 octane pump gas. Depending on how often you boosted this high, you may or may not have gotten lucky by the ecu detecting the knock and retarding the timing in time to prevent damage. Secondly, you may already know that boost control via wastegate is not absolute. Depending on several factors, boost spikes and boost creep are present in almost every setup I've seen (literally hundreds of Mkiv Supras, many of them single turbo'd). Throw a downpipe in a bone-stock Supra and it'll overboost & spike too. When your T72 spikes or creeps past 14psi, you'll both detonate AND run lean. The oem fuel system just isn't anywhere near big enough for this turbo. Imho, you need to get an upgraded fuel system on your Supra asap.

Quote:
... I have not tested my compression, but I am confident that my engine is sound. It ran perfect with the t61. It has a good tuneup in it and its a low mileage engine (65k). It doesn't blow any smoke on startup or while running, just the quick wisp on boost...
For what it's worth, note that the last (and only) 2jz-gte that I blew didn't smoke at all until the compression eventually went below 120psi (even though it was 'on it's last legs' when my #6 went down to 140). I am 100% certain that a compression test is a wise and prudent step for your situation at this point in time, even if your compression #s are unrelated to your 'wisp of smoke'.

Quote:
...I'm going to try to get on the dyno this weekend to see whats going on, but I'm not confident as my tuner is flatout and dyno time is at a premium. It should do this sitting still as well as moving down the road...
Agreed...a test on the dyno with the hood open should allow you to quickly find the source of the smoke. In theory, you don't even need a tuner onsite...anywhere with a dyno should be able to strap it down for you - then pop the hood, and do a pull...

Quote:
...I do NOT have a catch can, although I am finding out that this is a must. The hose goes straight from the valve cover to the intake side of the turbo between the mass air and the inlet of the turbo. I SUSPECT this is my problem. I think the greater volume of air from the bigger turbo is creating this mystery wisp, just can't see from where.
Is it possible that my blowoff valve is no longer big enough to compensate for this extra air and this wisp of smoke is the excess boost coming back through my turbo, which we all know is bad, and because I don't have a catch can, I see a little oil wisp?...
Honestly I feel this is unlikely, since 'regular' boost isn't smoky. I'd suggest smoke coming from (for example) an oil leak that sprays directly onto a hot exhaust system component, or an exhaust leak, etc. are more likely possibilities.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 05-31-2006 at 01:13 PM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote