View Single Post
Old 05-30-2006, 11:29 PM   #3
mrvetten
Stock

mrvetten is on a distinguished road
Talking

I am very experienced in turbos. Aside from owning a ton of other turbo vehicles, I also have a twin turbo 69 Camaro that I built from the ground up, and I dragrace a GSX-R1000 that is turbo charged.

I only tell you this so you don't think you're wasting your time or dealing with an idiot or worse someone who THINKS they know what they're talking about, or bought a car that is way above their knowledge and experience.

I appreciate your help as it takes time and thought to put words to page.

Soooo...

I have a stock fuel system except for the 255lph pump.

As I said in my post, right now I am running 14psi with the t72. I was running 18 with the t61. both on pump gas with no issues. (plugs (iridiums) look great)

I have not tested my compression, but I am confident that my engine is sound. It ran perfect with the t61. It has a good tuneup in it and its a low mileage engine (65k). It doesn't blow any smoke on startup or while running, just the quick wisp on boost.

I'm going to try to get on the dyno this weekend to see whats going on, but I'm not confident as my tuner is flatout and dyno time is at a premium. It should do this sitting still as well as moving down the road.

I do NOT have a catch can, although I am finding out that this is a must. The hose goes straight from the valve cover to the intake side of the turbo between the mass air and the inlet of the turbo. I SUSPECT this is my problem. I think the greater volume of air from the bigger turbo is creating this mystery wisp, just can't see from where.
Is it possible that my blowoff valve is no longer big enough to compensate for this extra air and this wisp of smoke is the excess boost coming back through my turbo, which we all know is bad, and because I don't have a catch can, I see a little oil wisp?

It seems I can't be the only one to have this problem, thats what brought me here...
again, I appreciate your 2 cents...
mrvetten is offline   Reply With Quote