View Single Post
Old 05-30-2006, 05:28 AM   #2
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvetten
Hi all,
I have a little problem. I recently put a T72 ball bearing on my 94 Supra. (I already had a T61 single with all the goodies and it ran awesome, just wanted to upgrade, seeing as I had the turbo off to fix some exhaust leaks). It runs fine, although I had to turn the boost down from 18psi to about 14psi or so to keep it from running too lean.

Problem is this:

When it starts to build boost or when I let off from boosting, there is a puff of white smoke coming thru my vented hood. Can't tell where it is coming from (haven't had the time to get it on the dyno), althought it is coming from the passenger side, so I think it is obviously turbo or intake related. It didn't do this with the T61.

Should the hose from the valve cover be going to the intake side of the turbo to act as a type of PCV, or just to a catch can? It doesn't smoke at any other time. Only under boost and after boosting for a quick second. I know its not serious, but everytime I see it, I instinctively let off, sucks to drive that way.

Thanks in advance for your help.
1) Are you running an aftermarket fuel system? If so, what are the specifications?
2) How much boost are you running on pump gas?
3) Have you tested your compresson? If not, I'd suggest you do...and please let us know what the specific per-cylinder results are.
4) Possibly a dumb suggestion, but if you could take a short drive with your hood off, perhaps you could see the source of the smoke under boost and letting off?

The hose from the valve cover should be going to the input of a catch-can, and then the output of the catch-can shoudl be going to the intake side of the turbo.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 05-30-2006 at 05:30 AM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote