Thread: Auto or Manual?
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2006, 07:05 PM   #13
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by theWeezL
Well, yes but your refering to an extremely high horsepower car using a built automatic...
Actually my first example was an (approximate) 400rwhp bpu++++ Mkiv Supra with stock tt's AND with a stock auto tranny. Maybe it's not low horsepower example, but imo it's certainly not "extremely high" (relative to the 1000hp+ Mk4s that are almost commonplace these days)...

Quote:
...I could reference Pro-Stock drag racers who dont use automatics almost to the man. They use 4 spd clutchless transmission sure, but I hope you see the point...
...Keeping this whole discussion in context, I don't know of any Pro-Stock Mk4 Supras that are using clutchless 4spds (especially street-driven ones). Also, based on how much BIGDOM likes cornering too, I doubt he's is looking to convert the "twin turbo Mk4 Supra" he's planning to get into a Pro-Stock car with a clutchless 4spd. ...I hope you see my point as well.

Quote:
...Take a stock mk4 6 speed and a stock auto to the track...put a good driver behind the wheel of both...and I'll put my money on the stick...
I agree that, since the 6spd gets a little more horsepower to the ground than the auto, a bone-stock MK4 6spd may have a very slight edge with a great driver...but put a simple bleeder-T, downpipe, a BCC, and average drivers in both cars... and (ime) the auto wins consistently.

Quote:
...But, ...when it comes to daily driving...Stick VS auto is purely a subjective and personal thing.
Agreed. Fwiw, that's why I first clarified BIGDOM's exact application before advising him on transmission selection.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 05-29-2006 at 02:11 PM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote