View Single Post
Old 03-15-2005, 11:37 PM   #1
DavyBoy
Stock

DavyBoy is on a distinguished road

Hi wondering if anybody on here knows what my problem is given the following fault symptoms. All help appreciated ..

I have a MK III Supra Single Turbo, I want to keep it desperately if at all viable. The problem starts perhaps 2-3 days before it gets worse. lets say 2-3 days ago you start it and you get some vibrations as if the timing is out not firing on all cylinders etc. Due to work constraint s you are not able to look at the problem for a further 4 days. Hmm too late perhaps. I am driving to work i am doing 75 mph the turbo is spinning but it is not being caned perhaps 1/2 boost, suddenly with no mechanical noise the exhaust starts blowing extreme smoke - huge cloud. At this point i have perhaps 1/4 mile left then park. Some hours later a friend who knows more about engines than i do takes a look> this is what we discover..

First turn engine over, it starts readily, although friend says it sounds like it is not firing on 6, he says more likely 4/5 cylinders. There is at idle no emissions from the exhaust. As it is Auto we boot it in Park to around 3-4'000 revs, at this point plumes of smoke, the smoke stinks of pure petrol, after foot removed from throttle, small emissions from exhaust more than previous idle. Now i am an amateur, but took it perhaps 400 yds down the car park, the turbo boost indicator needle lifts and there is no excess noise.

From what i know can i rule out..

a) Head Gasket - no emissions at initial idle, no residue on filler cap??
B) Turbo - simply due to the fact the needle still indicates turbo activity??

I suspect something to do with the ignition of fuel that has failed, no emissions intially due to coping with fuel, then 3-4000 revs cant cope with fule volumes and blown thru exhaust? Or is this just wishful thinking? I am thinking it cud be as simple as stripping a couple of plugs or belt teeth are these posibillities or even ignition sequencer chip problems akthough i an fudging around here a bit and have no idea how to test this.

Please if you recognise this, advise me as bin or keep the car to be decided on whether this is a viable repair job or not.

Thanks in advance..

Dave
DavyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote