View Single Post
Old 04-24-2006, 03:25 PM   #10
Troyota
3" Exhaust

Troyota is on a distinguished road

I'd go 3S-GTE instead...way cheaper, way lighter, already set up for FWD would have plenty of power potential for your application. I really don't think you are really grasping what you are thinking of doing. There is a reason nobody else has done this swap. Not even one of the big budget tuner shops or anything. It's just not practical. I see this as a project that you start to try and accomplish and it just doesn't ever get done and hopefully you haven't completely ruined your car in the process or you are out all the money invested and a perfectly good Celica GT-S.

There is no way a 2JZ will fit in the engine compartment of a Celica w/o completely rebuilding an all new engine complartment. Then you'd practically have to cut the underside of the car out so you can make a new trans tunnel that will support a RWD transmission and driveshaft. Find a donor RWD setup that will not require a complete fabrication job to install in your car (chances: slim to none). Plus when you are done, you won't have anything remotely resembling a factory car or a daily driver I suspect.

Not only will you be going into uncharted territory, meaning you will have to trial and error so many aspects of this swap. That means more money invested in things that might not even work, which means more money spent on finding a new solution that will work. I'd stick w/ something that has already been done and has a well documented installation and troubleshooting and a strong base of support in others who have done the swap themselves.

I mean, I could try and install a BMW V12 into my MkIII but why would I want to try something like that when I can install a 1JZ which has already been done and I can turn to people and posts on the internet to help me accomplish my goal and I am almost certainly going to finish what I started. All of the issues have already been worked out and I know what to expect.

I hope this at least helps you start to actually think about what it is you are thinking of doing. If you are still dead set on it, by all means go for it. I'd love to see it done. When and if you do it, feel free to bring it to New Mexico if only to say "Told ya so!!!" But my money is on, if you aren't the owner of a super successful tuner shop w/ unlimited project car budget (if you were, you wouldn't be on this forum asking questions about it). You probably will find if VERRY hard to see this idea through.

Just my .35 cents.

-Troy
Troyota is offline   Reply With Quote