View Single Post
Old 03-07-2006, 04:03 AM   #5
mrnickleye
1000whp postwhore

mrnickleye is on a distinguished road
Wink Why I think these things

As for this quote:
Even if the car appears to run well, excess smog is being produced. An EGR failure will not only cause excess NOx, back up strategies will often entail enriching the mixture or retarding the timing. This in turn increases HC and CO emissions. Even if you don't see it on a 4-gas exhaust analysis test, the emissions are being created and the catalytic converter will not always cover them up.

The author is talking about OBDII cars, 1996 and newer. MKIII's are OBDI systems, and the computer does not compensate for lack of, or excess EGR.

As for passing a smog test....it is illegal to tamper with, disconnect, remove, modify, disable, etc. etc. any pollution control device that was originally installed by the manufacturer. That is a federal law, applicable to all 50 states. Some states (which could be many) do not require a visual or functional inspection of the devices.

But as I said, it all comes down to the test facility/technician.

Every vehicle that is allowed to be sold in USA must pass EPA tailpipe emission testing. Many new(er) vehicles don't have EGR systems because they pass the EPA tests without it.

As for "pinging" ....I don't know what the recommended timing is for JDM engines, it could be less than 10*. Also, the computer may not advance the timing as much as USA/European. Or it may retard the timing more, and quicker, to keep pinging to a minimum.

My owners manual states that "some" pinging (light engine knock) is OK under acceleration, or going uphill. I personally don't like that.

I don't know what Octane rated fuel is recommended for JDM either, as 87 octane is the min. for USA. (for better performance it says 91 octane)

As for EGRs not on JDMs....manufacturers won't spend more than they have to on pollution controls (or many other things either). A $ saved, is a $ earned, X a million cars = a million $$$....It is how they think.

All combustion engines pollute the air. Some countries allow more pollution than others. Manufacturers save millions $$$ by not having to install some pollution control devices.

Laws change. During the years of our cars, laws allowed higher levels of pollution. That is why EGR systems were not on many brand cars in certain countries. The cars met (tested below) the higher allowed levels.

Cleaner intake manifold passages is one result of not having the egr.

Also, higher peak combustion temps create higher engine temps, especially in the head. These cars already have enough over heating, and headgasket problems.

Last edited by mrnickleye; 02-07-2007 at 05:54 AM.
mrnickleye is offline   Reply With Quote