Thread: Swap Project
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2006, 12:58 AM   #1
nickvash0104
3" Exhaust

nickvash0104 is on a distinguished road
Default Swap Project

Okay, after having searched and read through 15 pages of thread titles, I didn't see one matching mine.

I suspect a blown head / piston rings in my 7MGE. Start it up, runs rough, oil shooting out the tailpipe, leaking out front bearing, and also around the pan.

Thought about buying a salvage engine swapping it in with my current one. Rebuilt / new isn't exactly in the budget right now. I'm pretty indifferent about performance, as this is going to be (and was) my daily driver.

Any tips for pre-removal procedures? I am having someone who has done a swap before help me out, but he has given me quite a few things to do beforehand before he will assist me.

Also, what parts shall I need? I've got down hoist, stand, several tools, etc., but what about the lesser known items, such as lubricants, fluids, bolts, etc.? Anything I should swap out while I have the engine out?

(I looked and looked for such a guide, but couldn't find one - maybe I didn't look hard enough or looked in the wrong place?)

Also, what is the weight of the engine? I am looking to purchase a stand, but they are classed by weight able to stand, and I think it'd be wise to at *least* purchase a stand that can hold the engine, no?

I'll post more questions as they come to me... hope I can start on this thing soon.