View Single Post
Old 02-14-2006, 04:26 AM   #3
djalkyd
3" Exhaust

djalkyd is on a distinguished road

i just did a clutch swap on my 87 turbo. i had the biggest problem getting it back in. here is what i did, be warned, you need small hands to do this if you do it my way.

unbolted the bellhousing from the tranny then bolt the bell housing to the engine first. this will help you get the starter back on also.

then put the trans back onto the bellhousing, be very careful that you line it up exactly right because it is almost like a press fit coming off and it is a little harder lining it up. just jiggle it a bit and it will line up on the dowls and pop right in.

now the hard part. there are 9 bolts that hold the tranny to the bell housing. going through the 2 slots on the sides of the bell housing, thread in all the bolts as far as you can then use a 1/4 inch drive ratched to tighten them as far as you can.

now the lovely torque wrench to get your final torque. use a swivel head and long extension to get them all torqued back.

it took me a few hours under a lift. 2 of those hours spent on trying to get the entire tranny back in with the bell housing on and the final hour doing it the way i just said.

i know it sounds backwards but it worked a whole lot easier than fighting the entire tranny.

if anyone has a better way, i am all ears for future reference.
djalkyd is offline   Reply With Quote