View Single Post
Old 02-08-2006, 09:32 AM   #4
TONY!
12psi boost

TONY! is on a distinguished road

I keep hearing this being said on so many sites, “Sure, you can just fix it by taking the oil pan out and changing the bearings.”

My question is: When you get a spun bearing, I am willing to be that the connecting rod is also damaged and chewed up beyong specs, so won't the rod need to be changed?
Won' the crank need to be cut (if not too chewed and beyond fixable specs) and too?
I mic’d up a crank and a connecting rod that had a case of rod bearing both from the same engine and rod knock case.

The crank was worn .059” and the connecting rod was worn .080”.

Total excessive gap on those two parts if just replacing the bearing is going to be .139” and that is roughly 100 times the oil clearance required!

When people just drop the oil pan and “fix” the rod knock, do they actually measure the wear on the crank?

Do they actually look at the bearing tangs in the big end of the connecting rod to see if they are not worn?

Do people measure the wear on the connecting rod to see if it is still within specs?

You also can not take out the connecting rod big end from the bottom of the car; it can only come up one way: up the cylinder becaust it won’t fit the going down.

Just curious as to what I keep hearing about since it does not add up to me—because I hear it a lot…maybe I am missing something…

_____|_____
/. . . \ . . . \ . .\
( ]/ . . . . \ . . . \ . .\[ )
____________________[||]______________[||]____________________
TONY! is offline   Reply With Quote