View Single Post
Old 01-31-2006, 02:27 PM   #2
rnoswal
Lexus & 550's

rnoswal is on a distinguished road

I just pulled mine and replaced it. It was the second time I have done this. There are 1,289,069 screws!!! I had a few left over needless to say.

Just kidding, maybe half that. You just have to take things off in order and try to put it back together as soon as possible. You have to remove the center console and the steering wheel first, well disconnect the battery first. Then the shifter, unscrew the shift knob. I started be taking off the glove compartment and everything in it including the ECU. Unplug all the wires. You might want to put the screws in zip lock bags and lable the area they go to. I didn't but most of the screws are the same.

At the lower right and left corners of the dash there are two bolts, 10 mm that are hidden behind the kick panels. After you get the shifter and console out then the ashtray and its mount come out. With the center piece that holds the radio and flasher switch, you have to pry the lip up at the back portion of where the shifter leather cover is. Be careful, but this has to come up and back to get the rest of that center piece to pop out. After you take out the ashtray and its mount, and get that lip up then the center piece will pop out with a little bit of levering around it. Unplug the lighter and any other wires.

Remove the heater control and unplug. After removing the steering wheel, the switches on the left side can be popped out and unplug the wires. There will be two screws exposed now that hold the black plastic cover over the dash instruments. Takle these and the 6 or so screws out and remove that piece. Then the 3 or 4 screws that hold the cluster in. Now you should remove the cover around the steering column and keep those screws together!

Lower the steering wheel and you should be able to pull the cluster. The speedo cable just pops off while pulling and is easy to put back on. unplug all the wires to the cluster and now you should have most everything exposed that you need. There are a few 10 mm nuts towards the back behind the cluster and another above the ECU. Of course you should have pulled the radio out by now too.

Unplug the connector from the dash cluster, then behind the kick panel on the lower left side you have to unplug the wires that come out of the left lower corner of the dash and all plug into the fuse panel area. I never could get the foot rest deal for your left foot loose so I just carefully moved that kick panel piece around to get at the wire harness, but if you can get that panel off, it is a bit easier. All the cover, hood release, vent tube(just pops out) cames out too.

Mostly that is it. Just make sure you have all the wires unplugged. The upper part of the dash is held in by 5 or 6 snap in male connectors. You will hear them pop out as you pull back on the dash. You will see if there are any other wires you may have missed, the large rubber hose behind the radio and the 2 screws that hold the center heater opening in.

Have fun and since you have gone this far you may want to try checking the heater core, because if it goes out, you have to do all this again!

Let us know how it goes or email me if you want.

Russ
rnoswal is offline   Reply With Quote