Thread: Rod Knock
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2006, 09:32 PM   #14
TONY!
12psi boost

TONY! is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kewlcoconut
... Is it possible to get a rod knock with the oil levels being fine?? ...
Actually, a friend of mine (Shaeff) and I were talking about this. He said that he got it without the oil being low.

Another guy I chatted with got it also and his oil was also not low but from a bad build.
I have heard of many cases of rod knock where there was plenty of oil in the crankcase, but the results were still the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullz_EyE
WoWzerz! Drive your car much? Just a note (not to you, just being general), the recommended interval for oil changes is every 3000 miles or 3 months, which ever comes 1st. It's been studied before that changing every 3000 may be a bit excessive, although I religiously change it at that interval.
You know I somehow got it in my head when I first got a car that when the oil gets dark to a certain point, that is a good time to change it. I guess I thought of the very dark characteristic as being carbon.
I guess I always assumed that the degree of how dark the oil is would determine how much carbon and blowby got into the oil.
So I just try to keep it from getting dark, more or less.
Usually on older cars, the oil change interval would be less (according to my logic) because of the sealing of the combustion chamber and allowing for more carbon to get to the oil.

Well either way, I like to keep it from getting too dark, and sometimes 3000 miles would be too long because the oil would be too black for me.

As far as knowing if it is rod knock:
I have not done extensive testing by any means on this, but only reciting what I have heard:
If you remove the spark plug wire to the cylinder that has the knock, it would quiet the knock down. So if you go through the wires and can find that removing one of them quiets things, you have a major operation on your hands.

Having rod knock means that you need to replace the rod because the indentation for the bearings’ tangs would be damaged. And I sell rods by the piece dirt cheap for folks in need due to knocking.
When people use the same damaged rod....that is a huge no no.

_____|_____
/. . . \ . . . \ . .\
( ]/ . . . . \ . . . \ . .\[ )
____________________[||]______________[||]____________________
TONY! is offline   Reply With Quote