View Single Post
Old 01-05-2006, 04:02 PM   #1
lifesnotfair
3" Exhaust

lifesnotfair is on a distinguished road
Default Should I STILL change head gasket??

Fellas, some of you might remember when I introduced my red 1988 automatic N/A Supra, which I bought about a month ago. I've done some mods already (tail lights, kickass rims).. and fixed some things (e-brake, changed it all with handle and new boot, etc, etc)... The car is unbelievable, EVERYTHING works on it. Only thing bugging me are those break lights, but the "box" (must be a relay or something) in the back was ordered some time ago and should be arriving to me soon. Hope that fixes it. Oh, and the buttons on the clock don't work, lol.. so I must unplug the battery at 1:00 and plug it back, so I have my clock running at the correct time. Shutting the car off doesn't reset it, so it's not like I'll be unplugging my batery so much (good batery tho, those ones with gel....)

Anyways, I felt like this couldn't all be so good, so yesterday I took the car to my mechanic. Today I call him... I had told him to check EVERYTHING, to the turn the car upside down if necessary (heh) and check anything.. He tells me he's gonna change all filters (air, oil, fuel), the 6 spark plugs, and change the oil. That's it. He found no escapes, no leaks. He says the car looks NEW from down under it. Not even bad bushings or brakes or anything.

Should I STILL change the headgasket, as everyone suggested when I mentioned I bought my car? I mean, previous owner must've changed it, because the meter reads 150,000 something miles. (I took out speedo cable 2 weeks ago coz, although it worked, it made a horrible noise, need new one, right now the mileage isn't running obviously, but it was running find before)... and stock gaster from 88 would obviously not last this long...

What do you think?
lifesnotfair is offline   Reply With Quote