View Single Post
Old 12-29-2005, 03:28 PM   #1
scruffboy
walbro fp

scruffboy is on a distinguished road
Question Can Overheating Be Linked To Overflow Res

My overflow reservoir has a leak. I attempted to fix it on the weekend but it started to rain and I realized there was more than one bolt holding it on like I thought, so I figured it could wait till this weekend. I usually had to add coolant every two days but I ran out and for the past two days have been running with the overflow dry. Toyota wants 105 US dollars for this stupid little item and I'll be damned if I pay that for what amounts to a plastic soda bottle. Anyways, today I overheated after a short run (maybe two miles). I let it cool down and drove it back home slowly with the hood popped and the heater blowing. So I got home and sure enough I was low on coolant in the radiator (which has never happend before) but I saw no leaks. I filled the radiator and the res and ran the car a little and everything seemed to work fine and still I saw no leaks under the car. Can this little reservoir cause such a headache? I left the car in the driveway and took the bus, but I plan on taking it off and using some kind of epoxy on it. What I'd like to know is, should I be looking some where else for leaks, or can the reservoir be the totality of my problem? I love this car and it usually runs like new but I'm having some little thing drive me nuts every other week lately.

Thanks

James in NJ
scruffboy is offline   Reply With Quote