View Single Post
Old 12-25-2005, 04:18 AM   #17
SKILMATIC
3" Exhaust

SKILMATIC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newschooler
Hell, I'm a brand newbie on this board and I plan on buying a supra TT in a couple of years.

However I am not a newbie in mechanics so I couldn't resist to add some information here.
What kkiepvvessau wants to say, is that the differential does more than just turning the wheels. It also amplifies power just like a gear.

So lets say your engine devellop 200lb of torque at the flywheel. 200lb of torque isn't really alot to move a 3000lb and + car. Thats when the tranny and differential comes into play.

Lets say your first gear got a ratio of 3.0 and your differential a ratio of 3.1
The power your wheels will put on the ground will be: 3.0*3.1*200=1860lb/tq

Now that more likely to move your car. If you swap a lower gear ratio diff, you'll get: 3.0*3.7*200=2220lb/tq. Thats 360lb of torque to the wheels more right there just with that new differential. Not bad huh.

Anyway, I dunno if you all were aware of that, don't want to sound like a smart ass.
No that was a great post. However, it still distributes the power that was transfered from the tranny. A diff does nothing but distribute power to the wheels. It has nothing to do with power transfer. In order to transfer something you must change it to another form. Which the tranny does. The diff just takes that power from the tranny and distributes it to the wheels. I hope I am making sense too.
SKILMATIC is offline   Reply With Quote