View Single Post
Old 12-20-2005, 09:47 PM   #13
SKILMATIC
3" Exhaust

SKILMATIC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkiepvvessau
the differential does more than just turn the wheels. people spent thousand dollar swap differential to get the car faster. read this and you might understand better http://www.z1motorsports.com/PDFs/TT...earendswap.pdf . i'm not a smart guy . i just wants to share about stuff that i know.
Well your talking about converting a single wheel turning diff to a LSD(aka limited slip diff) or a ATB(aka automatic torque biased diff). These diffs are also bullet proof none the less. Your stock gears are much more brittle than a forged diff. So when you get a cusco, or a quaife you are able to downshift at higher rpm's much more smoothly and effortlessly. And they make both wheels turn at the same rate. Stock diffs do not do this. This is why they cost so much. You are paying for precision machining and anytime you deal with that your talking some coin. I payed all together with instalation and new spider gear about 1500 for my quaife diff. And it was money well spent.

So again, the transmission transfers power(hence the terminology trans-mission) its mission is to transfer power. And the differential just takes that power and turns the wheels. I guess you could say its transfering power from the tranny to the ground but the tranny doesnt create power it just transfers it. Now the correct analyzation would be that the diff distributes(not transfers) the power to the wheels. I hope that helps a little.
SKILMATIC is offline   Reply With Quote