View Single Post
Old 12-14-2005, 10:15 PM   #11
rnoswal
Lexus & 550's

rnoswal is on a distinguished road

Jp3z, the only bolts on a manual trans are the bell housing and the two things on the side that stabilize the lower part of the engine/trans. There is an inspection plate that has to come off to let it pll past the flywheel. There are no other bolts that have to be removed to separate the two.

On the automatic there are 5 or six bolts that holt the torque converter to the flywheel that makes separating the two easier, but still that is not necessary. You can still pull the torque converter straight out after you separate the engine/trans, so there is nothing holding it in after unbolting.

Like I said before, the output shaft is frozen to the outputshaft bearing in the back of the crank. I bent the back of the crank in my 22R engine slighlty just trying to remove the tranny. I pulled and jerked and swore and pried and finally the bearing pulled out with the output shaft. Everything being done, that is the only thing left and it can be a bitch to separate if they are stuck together, but not impossible.

Get big prybars, keep it close to the ground, but support the middle to keep the two parts as straight as possible. Don't give up, it will separate eventually. The only thing that will break is that pilot shaft bearing.

Good luck

Russ
rnoswal is offline   Reply With Quote