View Single Post
Old 01-04-2005, 08:31 PM   #6
V8H8TR
Stock

V8H8TR is on a distinguished road

I don't think that the supra would be my first choice for drifting. There are several reasons for my thoughts of this. First and foremost the weight of the supra makes for poor handling when drifting. Next would be the suspension setup. The way that the suspension is setup in a MKIII (I think it is a Macpherson strut) with the upper A-arms and that, make adjusting camber to a level suitable for drifting difficult. It can be adjusted a little bit with the stock essentric bolts, but not to the level that you want for drifting. Going on, the 7m, it's a powerful motor, not extremely laggy, but it is unforgiving when low on oil-especially when drifting, as all the oil will run to one side of the pan, making a recipe for rod knock.

Now the good things:
The MKIII has excellent stock LSD's
The 7M is a powerful motor (yeah it contradicts myself a little bit)
Responds very well to basic upgrades (intake/exhaust/downpipe)

If I were you I would look into getting a Silvia with a SR20. I recently got the chance to drift a 180SX with a KA motor, and it was so incredibly easy as compared to my turbo MKIII. I couldn't believe it.

Now on the other hand, if you are dead set on using the MKIII as your drift car, let me recommend a few things to you:
1. Try to get a NA LSD (4.3 gear ratio=3rd gear drifts like nothing)
2. coilovers all the way, and every type of stabilizer bar you can fathom
3. Put the mkiii on a diet if feasible.
4. investing in a few upgrades to make the motor happier (fuel cut defenser, intake, exhaust, downpipe, shimmed wastegate-or boost controller, short shifter, and maybe even a pair of NA cams-good for low end power)

If you have any other questions about drifting or the MKIII , feel free to ask me. I have a very close friend that drifts for D1 and formula D here in the states, and I have a pretty vast knowledge about the MKIII as well (I post as JZ_KILLA_T68 on supraforums.com)

Peace.