Thread: buying a supra
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2005, 06:06 AM   #2
TRAFIK
3" Exhaust

TRAFIK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by docvtak
I have a question in regards to buying a 93-98 toyota supra. I was interested to know what the difference between buying a twin turbo supra, turbo supra and n/a supra would be. Because I am on a budget I was interested in buying a n/a supra and swapping a 2JZ.
If you are on a budget I dont think you will be able to get a TT
( unless 20K to you is being on a budget )

if you get a n/a you can pick up an engine for it starting
from $2000 - $5000 .. for example:

2jzgte complete + auto tranny: $2499 , $2800 (jdm low miles) on ebay
2jzgte complete + 6 speed $3700, $4100

I see those prices all the time and as you can see the 6 speed is more expensive and more rare therefore harder to buy.. shipping if not included will depend on where you live. around $150-$350 depending how they ship and where.. swaping is a straight drop . ( minus some small stuff like changing the Harness connector )

The differences between the TT and the N/A are:
TT has:
Bigger breaks
Turbos ( duh )
bigger stick wheels ( to clear the bigger breaks) ( duhh )
and some other stuff I dont feel like mentioning ( nothing major )

Mainly the n/a is slower.. both engines are capable of producing a lot of power and both are very relible.
The TT cost more and are every hard to find "cheap" so some people get n/a and swap in the 2jzgte.. Yes it has been done and Yes there are no problems after a proper swap..

Here is an example of what I am talking about http://www.mkivsoopra.com/project/

I'm telling you this now.. doing a good swap like "mkivsoopra" did with replacing and maintenancing several part to insure a good engine will run you about $7,000 ( engine ,shipping ,bunch or parts that mkivsoopra listed and depending if you want 6speed or not maybe little less or more )

If you dont have a lot of $$ go with a nice N/A and swap in a good motor..
You will end up with a low milage supra sooner or later if you decide to swap.

Add up the price of the swap to the price of the n/a you're getting and see if you can get a tt for that much..

ohh I almost forgot if you are not doing the swap yourself the total price of a good swap can go up to 10K , unless you skip out on the parts and get some cheap labor... Remamber I seen people buy a 2jzgte for $2300 and paying some guy $500 to swap it in.... basicly what you pay for is what you get.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sep20_15.jpg
Views:	566
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	59  

--===Give me 2jz-Gte or give me death!===--

Last edited by TRAFIK; 11-14-2005 at 06:15 AM.
TRAFIK is offline   Reply With Quote