View Single Post
Old 11-06-2005, 04:01 PM   #2
toyota_guru
Intake

toyota_guru is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumsey1
Hi, I'm new to the site but have a few questions maybe someone can help me with.

I went to find a few parts for my yes I do own two Camaros both Z28s, but let’s not get personal, I came across a 1984 Supra, it had the cloth burgundy interior with vey little wear, and in nice shape a bit bleached from the sun on the upper corners but they will work just fine until I put away enough to have the leather seats redone in my 85. As I was removing the seats, I noticed that I might as well grab all the power door parts from both doors, the head light assemblies, the list goes on.

I was removing the steering column and happen to look at the gages and I thought I saw that the speedometer went up to 200 mph, na couldn’t be, mine only goes up to 130. The 84 I rebuilt for my ex back in 88 had a 130 mph Speedo. Then I noticed something I haven’t seen on her car or mine, it was above the tack and read normal and looked like a green lens and power with a little red lens, above that I think it had written DCI, or DIC, or D something, I thought maybe a turbo car, but there were no markings on the car stating that.

My question is like in my Camaros I can change the rear gear ratio from 2.73 to 3.73. Is the rear end in the 84 I came across have a different gear set and ratio in the rear end then my 85?

Can I swap the gages from the 84 and put them in my 85. The 84 is an automatic car, mines a five speed manual? The engine was removed and transmission but they left the rear end in the car. If the gear set is different can I swap them or just swap the whole rear end?

Also can I remove the catalectic converter and install a Pace header with bigger exhaust pipe and a better flow muffler then the one Midas put on with out messing up the computer and sensors?

Any help to these questions would be greatly appreciated, and yes my Supra will tear a Camaro up in the corners, but unless I do some serious work and put out some serious money out for a turbo or supercharger, I have to live with the fact that my 79 Z28 will always pull away down the straights, of course I’m pushing 425 horses out of a 350 four bolt main built to the you know what, with a wide range Borg Warner S T10 and 2.73 gears in the rear end, just have to keep the RPMs up in both cars.

Thank you,

Glen D Rumsey at grumsey@earthlink.net or call even collect 541-296-3970
Swap the whole rear end assembly, its much easier. Get rid of the cat, The converters played no part in the computer or sensors until the late 90's when OBDII system came out. are you sure that other speedo read 200mph or 200kph? I have never seen a stock toyota speedo read over 160mph.