View Single Post
Old 12-16-2004, 02:26 PM   #13

Hello again.
After all that I had the waterfall again and this time I just had to trust my instinct. So, after one weekend, three evenings of cleaning and reassembly I have a new CHG.

For anyone who is interested DONT be put off by thinking this is a hard job. Get the manual and photocopy it all out into the right order as many manuals flip backwards and forwards to other chapters, get all your tools out, put the car on ramps, depressurise the fuel system, disconnect the battery, use lots of labels to attach to things and get on with it.

The only thing I had a problem with was not having six fingers on each hand that were about 10inches long and with universal articulating joints. That would have made the whole job a lot easier as EVERYTHING is just so hard to get to. In the end I bought a pair of locking artery forceps and thay gave me the extra reach and grip. I bought those from a sporting store as they sell them for fishermen to get hooks out of toothy fish.

The timing belt was a doddle and you dont even need to take the lower cover off. Just clamp the belt carefully against some packers before you release the tension and then lift if off the sprockets. Usual cautions apply.

The turbo was a pain to get off because of the oil feed pipe location. In the end you have to make up some really long extension sockets and get it from underneath but it can be done.

I decided not to have the head/block or manifolds skimmed because all were straight and flat when checked with a feeler and straight edge. The only time you need any help is to lift/drop the head. To make that easier I raised up a platform around the car with pallets so we were could be more comfortable when handling the head as it was quite high on ramps.

So far the car is behaving impeccably and I will give you an update if there is one.