View Single Post
Old 03-21-2016, 01:15 PM   #8
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.BuckShort View Post
Phil,

You may remember me. I’m the guy with the ’93 Supra (automatic/nonturbo) who corresponded back and forth with you last July about the problem I had with my ECU not relaying the signal to the fuel pump. Your excellent advice on this forum was:

“If that's not it, or you want to try something else, just add a new fused circuit from your fuse box, and run a new wire back directly to your fuel pump. Ideally, you'd trigger this with a relay from an existing ignition-switched circuit. This would run your fuel pump at 12v continuously whenever your key is on, bypassing the fuel pump ecu. If this fixes the problem, it'd definitely isolate the issue to your fuel pump ecu or the fuel pump wiring.”

Well, I’m still that guy and still have that problem. Because, instead, Amir, my mechanic and I just spent 9 month, buying and shipping Supra ECUs and would be replacement ECUs back and forth between their vendor and repair services – to ultimately conclude the first ECU repair service last summer was correct , the ecu I shipped them was irreparable. Since also learning NO Supra of Lexus ECUs we were able to find worked, and to boot, those were also not reparable for this fuel pump problem either.

[Another diversion has been that, although our search did not exactly proceed at “breakneck speed,” I did, in fact, literally break my neck -- same vertabra that eventually did in Christopher Reeve (known in medicine as the “hangman’s fracture , because that’s also what splits apart when they hang you). Fortunately, in my case, it did not damage the spinal cord, no paralysis, and full recovery predicted after about 2 more months sporting this traditional “halo” metal head stabilization collar screwed up against my skull. Although, on the bright side, on a good day I think it can pick up Radio Dubrovnik  I swear, not making this up, except for the last part.]

So the mechanic has finally agreed with me that 9 months is also the traditional gestation period for the ignition direct to fuel pump suggestion you made in the first place. I think what you described is pretty straightforward, and Monday I will get him a copy of your posted suggestion above. I’m not sure he was certain I could find that, but, in either case, he asked if I could get him your phone number in GA, in case he had any further questions?

If you would, you can email it to me at reb1000@sbcglobal.net. In return, I may just send you the most entertaining part of my injury which has almost made the whole adventure worthwhile. Again, I appreciate the interest you have taken I my Supra problem. Thanks.

Roger Burke (Supra Forum handle: A. Buck Short)
Dallas, TX
(972) 980-2522
reb1000@sbcglobal.net
Hi Roger,

I'm sorry to hear about your injury. However, it seems that you're in good spirits, and on the road to recovery. I hope that continues, and that you beat the expectation of fully healed in only two more months.

I'll definitely try to get in touch with you via email, as you suggested.

Kind regards,
Phil

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 03-21-2016 at 01:33 PM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote