View Single Post
Old 11-13-2014, 06:29 PM   #2
Bru
Bone Stock w Upgrades ;-)

Bru is on a distinguished road

Replace the thermostat and radiator cap if they are old. You can check a thermostat by taking it out and heating to near boiling in water. If it opens its good. Check the viscous fan clutch by pushing on a fan blade with a forceful 5 inch push. It should not rotate more than about 1/4 of a turn. Take a peek at the front of the radiator for leaves, dirt, feathers, ect. You can clean it on the car by carefully spraying with a garden hose from the fan side (not too much pressure the fins bend easily). If the fins are rotten (crumble to dust) replace the radiator. Take a look into the radiator under the cap at the cores. If they look plugged up, take the radiator off the car and back flush it with a garden hose. Clean the fins while you are at it.
Make sure the coolant level in the radiator is full and the overflow hose is working. I had one plug up on me. With the engine cold, put a paper towel under the hose where it meets the radiator and pull it off. Gently blow into the hose, it should bubble in the overflow tank. Clear any obstruction if it doesn't. Keep the overflow coolant level between the lines. I use a flashlight on top of the tank and shake the tank a little. Make sure the fan belt is properly adjusted.

Last edited by Bru; 11-13-2014 at 06:32 PM.
Bru is offline   Reply With Quote