Thread: Tricky Ignition
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2014, 06:02 PM   #1
ccorbin81
Stock

ccorbin81 is on a distinguished road
Default Tricky Ignition

Hello,

I have had this thing sitting in my garage for some time now 88 Supra Turbo Hard Top, I can finally afford the body work I need but I am still struggling with ignition issues.

My car turns over fine but does not recieve fuel. If I jump 12v+ into the B+ Diagnostic port, it cranks and runs fine aside from some old gas making it sputter.

Here is what I know, I have multimeters and everything electrical on hand but I can't get to the bottom of the problem. I also have all of the wiring diagrams but I admit I am barely a neophyte when it comes to automotive circuit diagrams.The Diagnostic port has no power (actually I think one of the ports had a small amount of voltage), trying to jump B+ to FP does nothing, however jumping 12v+ to the B+ port enables everything. My check engine light does not come on when I turn the ignition switch on, when I jump power to the B+ the CEL comes on with ignition on and turns off after the vehicle starts. I cannot, for whatever reason, check for codes with or without jumping power to the B+. I have rewired the CPS wiring with a high temp weatherpack connector, no change, still runs with power jumped to the B+.

The ignition switch has correct voltage, I don't remember the wires but they were listed in a post by CRE and they checked out like he said they would. I have changed the switch and cylinder anyway but there has been no change. All of the fuses and links in the ignition circuit seem to be ok but I wouldn't be suprised if I missed a fuse or relay. I have changed all of the cylindrical relays I can find under the hood and in the driver kick. I have replaced and tested all fuses that I can find.

The car worked great, I slid into a pole going about 15mph and I just need a bumper and pass headlight replacement. The car had to sit outside for a couple of months during heavy rain before I got it inside but it stopped starting after it sat in the garage for several days.

Im capable with a meter but Im getting lost on the diagram, does any of this information help any of you more veteran wire monkeys? If there is a good post on a thorough ignition troubleshoot I would love to have a link.

Thanks in advance,
CC

Last edited by ccorbin81; 03-06-2014 at 06:22 PM.
ccorbin81 is offline   Reply With Quote