View Single Post
Old 12-03-2013, 09:57 AM   #2
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by normalsalaryman View Post
(sorry for the bad english), im new to 2jz engine but did some research and manage to get some basic knowledge about 2jzgte... i will be doing a 2jz gte swap into nissan a31 cefiro lol..i know its not supra, but supra is fricking rare in my country thats why i have no other option other than going with cefiro since most of rwd car in my country is a damn vans or suv ..i did manage to get the 2jzgte which is quite rare aswell,

-somehow my engine which ims ure it is pure 2jzgte but had the 5spd w58tranny..is this normal?
i also wonder what is the maximum power i can have on that w58tranny because i would be stuck for maybe 2year with that tranny(cant afford to get 6spd yet)..
-was thinking of having a 500rwhp, anyway ill be doing drifting alittle bit, but 90% of my driving is spirited driving(not that slamming gear changing driver)
-the car will be having an upgraded ECU,exhaust system,intercooler and in term of the car old chassis would be reinforced. anyone can give me roughly how much power increase from those mods.(oem turbo)

anyway i did race on N/A 4banger for sometime B,H,k series you name it its just im quite noob with turbo engine

so any inputs would be awesome
Welcome! Your English is just fine. I genuinely admire your multi-lingual skills. ...and congratulations on your choice to use the mighty 2jz-gte for your project!

I've done my best to answer your questions, as follows:

No, it's not normal for the W58 to be paired with the 2jz-gte...at least not from a Supra. Perhaps it's from an Aristo?

Apologies not sure how much power the W58 will hold, since it did not come in the Mkiv Supra Turbo. Perhaps another forum member can help...

I'm sorry to say that the upgraded ecu, exhaust system and intercooler would provide little to no power increase on their own. Who on earth told you to start with these modifications? Since you asked us for "inputs", here is my first one (seriously): forever stop listening to that person, in reference to your 2jz-gte swap. I'm absolutely serious about this input, because he/she will only confuse you if you continue to listen to his/her "inputs" too. He/she was already dead-wrong once, and he/she chose to share that dead-wrong bad advice with you!!! Most likely he/she will continue to be dead wrong about any/all advice in the future. If you don't completely get that person off your list of 2jz-gte advisors, you'll be severely limiting our ability to help you with other inputs.

The way you increase power in the 2jz-gte is to provide more boost. For that, you need:
(1) higher octane race fuel to keep the engine from being damaged (~US$10/gallon)
(2) You need to keep the wastegate from opening as soon. (Cost=US$0.25 or less)
(3) You also need to prevent fuel cut (which is an oem safeguard against boosting over oem levels using regular pump gas* ). (Cost=~US$125)
(4) A downpipe is your next mod, which removes the oem catalytic converters so the turbos spool quicker&harder. (Cost=~US$250+install)

When you get to thinking about it, you may possibly view (1) as a somewhat of an issue for your overall 2jz-gte swap. Although there are acceptable alternatives, please trust me that there is no way to eliminate this requirement. If anyone disputes that fact, send him/her to me. The alternatives include a reliable methanol+water injection system, and converting your 2jz-gte to run E85.

Please do some reading on "BPU" in the FAQ section, and here. After you've done that reading, please ask more questions.

Happy to help,
Phil

P.S. The oem 2jz-gte twins won't put out 500rwhp for any reasonable cost. You need to give up on that dream right now. I don't know where you heard this - my guess is probably from the same idiot that told you to buy an upgraded exhaust system as your first mod. Through a manual transmission, with race fuel and high boost, a used (50K+ miles) 2jz-gte might put out 450rwhp at most. More realistically you should expect 400rwhp-425rwhp with US-spec twins. If your twins are ceramic (Japanese-spec), you'll be at 375rwp-400rwhp at most realistically. If you will only be happy with more than that, throw those oem twins away right now and start with a single turbo (eg. 58mm+ inducer).

* See modification #(1). Modification #(2)+#(3) are only safe because you'll be using race fuel. Since modification #(3) bypasses the oem overboost safeguard, you must run race fuel or your 2jz-gte will get damaged when you raise your 2jz-gte's boost (using mod#(2)). If/when you switch back to pump gas, you need to eliminate the wastegate modification #(2)...which should be as simple as loosening a hose clamp with a screwdriver.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 12-03-2013 at 11:18 AM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote