View Single Post
Old 07-31-2013, 06:35 PM   #4
btwilson86
Super Moderator

btwilson86 is on a distinguished road

I personally am not against an engine swap. Many backyard mechanics can accomplish a clean swap and not have any problems (I've done this). If they put a turbo on a 7MGE, then I myself would pass. The problem is that it can be incredibly difficult to determine whether they added a turbo or swapped an engine. I think that you should have an independent, reputable shop who is knowledgeable about Supra's (or a trustworthy enthusiast) drive / inspect the car prior to purchase. Be sure to voice your concerns with the engine so they can find out what has been done.

By the way, a 7MGE has one knock sensor under the intake, a 7MGTE has 2. That may help you determine what engine is there (or at least how much work they put into it). And as far as I know, there are no identifying marks on the engine itself to determine if its 7MGE or 7MGTE; most critical differences are internal (low compression pistons, oil squirters, camshafts).
Driftmotion 57trim CT26, Upgraded Intercooler, 2.25" Hard Pipes, 3" Turbo Back Exhaust with Test Pipe, HKS VPC w/GM 3 bar MAP sensor, APEXi S-AFC, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, ProSport EVO Series Boost / Fuel Pressure / AFR gauges, Lotek a Pillar Gauge Pod, HKS Type 0 Turbo Timer, Eibach Lowering Springs, Tokico Illumina II TEMS struts, custom powder coated Motegi Racing TrakLite wheels
btwilson86 is offline   Reply With Quote