Thread: Engine Help!
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2005, 02:29 AM   #5
born2drv
Stock

born2drv is on a distinguished road

The first time the car overheated I took it back to the mechanic that replaced the engine and they looked in the overfill resevoir and it was filled with 2 kinds of coolants. They concluded that my radiator was mixing anti-freeze and transmission fluid and was no good and needed to be replaced. After replacing the rad they didn't even bother flushing the system to remove the tranny fluid from the cooling system, but since they didn't seemed worried about it and they seemed very shadey and lazy... I just wanted to get the hell out of there and leave, drive it home and fix all their mistakes starting with flusing the cooling system).

So right now the anti-freeze is still contaminated .. it has red + green in it.

>>>Are you losing radiator fluid?
YES. But I think it's because it gets so hot and boils, when the car sits after overheating, it steams like crazy and bubbles out of the overflow resevoir. Then after it cools down it sucks out whatever is in there and it needs to be refilled. I don't know if there is a net loss in fluid assuming the system doesn't steam/overheat.

>>>Is there even 50/50 in there and not just straight water?
I can only assume they put 50/50. When I refilled it, I also put 50/50.

>>>Is your water pump putting out the right pressure or fluid at volume?
I am assuming so. We took the rad cap off when the car was cold, started it up and everything seemed to circulate fine. I will have a mechanic check this before it gets the engine replaced once my car arrives here from the shipping company.

>>>How is your timing? Is it AT or manual? Is your radiator full of all kinds of gunk? Tried flushing and refilling the system? Are you burning any oil? Black or white smoke form the car when your going down the road?
Seems fine?
I have not checked/tested the timing. But the car sounds fine. It's an AT. Radiator doesn't seem to be full of gunk. Not burning anything as far as I can tell.... I will have the timing checked as well once the car gets here.

Anyhow I'll have those tests run as well as a compression check on the engine once the towing company ships my car to me. Hopefully the engine is still fine, but I still think I will need to replace or rebuild the engine unfortunately.

I've had my supra for the past 11 years since highschool, so I slowly plan to restore it and maybe make it a little better than stock.

I'll keep you guys updated. Thanks for answering and I'll be bumping this post in a couple weeks. This has been an invaluable website. I'll be posting here much more often.
born2drv is offline   Reply With Quote